Thursday, December 4, 2014

First dry-run game of Robotech Tactics

by Nathan Stout (of AccordingToWhim.com)

After nearly completing all bazillion miniature builds for the base game with some of the kickstarter extras I was ready to begin learning Robotech RPG Tactics. I pulled out the rulebook (which other gamers have been bashing) and tried to wrap my head around new concepts that blend in with the original Robotech RPG. Of the big rulebook (112 pages) only the first 29 pages are the actual rules. This was fairly simple to figure out but as with anything new with tons of new concepts/rules you need to read a couple of times so the 2nd time I read through it I decided to make a cheat sheet. This would help during game play and (just like in school), making notes helps you remember stuff.

I wanted to do a self dry run before I drug anyone else in on an actual first game. I figured I'd play though a small battle or two to get some of the mechanics down. Chris gives me a call yesterday evening and tells me they scheduled him to work on our appointed night and was it ok for him to come over now. I said yes and decided we'd just try a couple of simple games and work things out as we went.

We started with a single unit versus single unit (much like the starter battle listed in the rulebook). We fumbled, read, re-read, mistook the 6 on the die for a 1 for most of the first 2 games (oops)! By the end of the night we discovered a couple of things...

1.) Zentraedi are underpowered (so you need lots more units than UEDF units).
2.) The font is way too small on the cards (for these old eyes).
3.) We need to re-read and comprehend some of the special abilities).
4.) I need to figure out the squadron cards (which we didn't use).
5.) It's hard to keep track of which of your units are which.
6.) I need to make a custom sheet with stats, MD, missile boxes, and all that jazz to help us.

And that's it. When we get it down I think it will be fun. It will just take many games for it all to become second nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment